Dabboo Ratnani


Dabboo Ratnani, one of the most famous photographers in India, so famous that he has probably shot with every big Indian Bollywood star. However for the past year, I have been wondering how did he get to this level. Sure he is talented, but he is not at all original.



Last, last December (2010) I just started working for a stylist based in Juhu, and she once BBMed me and my colleague the following picture and asked us to keep wrist straps and scarves ready

Masha Novoselova

This picture is from ELLE Spain, and that day my friend/colleague and myself got busy in the studio looking for similar things. And then in the end we came up with 2 black leather wrist straps, one plain and one textured, one tan, and another white one. And from the workshop below, we got at least 6-7 different scarves made from different fabrics lying below. We also practiced tying the scarf on each other' hands, trying to get the twist right. I was supposed to go on that shoot, and it was supposed to be Aishwarya Rai.. Of course I was kind of excited even though she isn't my favorite person.


And in the end, it turned out the shoot was on Christmas Eve, and I had my own church obligations (and Xmas parties) so I had to skip it, and my friend went instead..

Here was what was achieved ..


Thats Vidya Balan. Compare the differences (if any)


And soon Dabboo sent our studio a complimentary calender.. And this next picture caught my eye..


That's Akshay Kumar again in the same calender..

And here is Zac Efron 

What do you think??

And finally, here is Asin (same calender)


I never though much about this, until I worked with another photographer, who happened to assist Ratnani back in the day, and he pointed out that this was shot with Sonali Bendre already..


The concept is the same, and so is the photographer, at least here he has copied one of his own pictures, and not some other photographers like the ones above.

I'm sure if I do look and research more, I will find more 'inspired' pictures.

Now the big question, why doesn't anyone take action here? How can someone just blatantly rip off someone else's ideas and concepts?
You have read this article with the title Dabboo Ratnani. You can bookmark this page URL http://blackpoetrypmrapedtwice.blogspot.com/2012/05/dabboo-ratnani.html. Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...